[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[fP]Forum • View topic - to put slac in future?
Home IRC Forums About us Members Wars Downloads Links Shop Stats
* FAQ    * Search * Login   * Register

Welcome to the [fP]Forums \o/

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:11 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics
Delete all board cookies | The team

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: to put slac in future?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:53 am 

Hello people, last days many servers put SLAC, new anticheat program used in leagues, cups, etc..
FP Servers to intend to put SLAC in the future? is the solution to stop the cheaters?

pd:
to apologize for my basic english

Saludos
greeting from Spain!

Post subject: Re: to put slac in future?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 am 

Have you read anything about SLAC? Not saying it's not a good thing, but for pub server's it's a different story then with leagues and cups..

Read more on SLAC and you'll understand.

P.S. which servers have implemented SLAC?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:19 pm 

hi binary!
i see servers : Bio, cyber, etc..
i install Slac yesterday and he have 2 trojans spy... and sux xD

Only comment this thread because i see some servers using slac, and the people say is a new anticheat, but i dont know, is effective or not

Greetings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:04 pm 

It is indeed effective, it is enforced differently and i'm not sure how that would work on a pub server, where the base of players is far from that of BiO, like i said read more on SLAC and you will understand what i mean if not PM me and i'll explain in more details.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:05 pm 
Par 3 Chump

Is this that anti cheat program made by a known "ex-haxxor' if so, lol, I don't think we will be using it if thats the case, if its not it ignore me :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm 

There is some controversy sorounding this SLAC, because its creator (chaplja) is a known hacker, not only that but he also made hacks for others to buy etc... so yes razzle you are right about that.

That, iMo is not, or should not be the reason to say no to implementing it onto the servers. Most security experts, developers of security programs etc... have all been at one point hackers themselves, which makes sense for obvious reasons. The fact that CB, ECC and other leagues said yes to it and are using it for competition, should be a reason enough to think that SLAC has been looked into, checked and aproved obviously... so why wouldn't it be good enough for pub servers... right?

We all know PB has and always has had issues, which more or less result in unwanted disconnects and/or lag problems. Not to mention the sheer fact that 70% or even more hacks are not detectable by it so it kinda defeats its own purpose.

The only thing i really see problematic in the case of SLAC, is its implementation. Everyone would need to download it and install it on his/hers computer and yes i'm aware of the fact that this is the same as with PB, but the thing is PB has been there since ever and everyone therefor knows it and has it. Doing the same with SLAC would not be a problem for only so many people, either those that are up to date on things in ET or are frequent visitors of our forum and the procentage of those is a lot smaller then the rest (BiO is somewhat of an exception here due to their base of players). Trying to make the other group of people, which are not as internet or ET literate or savy, to go and download SLAC and install it on the computer would be a problem imo and that way we would lose a certain amount of players.

Like all things, this one too has its positive and negative sides to it. The feedback so far has been all good as far as i know, when it comes to stability vs. PB. It is also suppose to be virtually not possible to hack, or hide it atleast.

It is most certainly a good thing that an alternative to PB has come out so i definately say hello to SLAC, just not sure how that would work on our server or other similar servers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm 
i helped the server upgrade fund and all i got was this lousy rank :P

If it's better than PB, and ends up on lots of other pubs, then we can presumably expect a deluge of hackers who have been displaced from their usual haunts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:25 am 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:11 pm 
Reigning Live! Golf Champion & Par 3 Champ

over my dead body :moo:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:33 pm 
Par 3 Chump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am 

Just thought to look on youtube to see what these humanised bots look like in action and its got me concerned the server might become a haunt for players whose hacks are detected by slac and which pb fails to spot.

If other well known servers are switching to slac then should we consider when the bulk of the respected servers have switched that maybe DC2 should do the same to protect the reputation if pb really is only catching 70% of hacks. if a virus scanner had a 30% miss/failure rate you'd soon ditch it. 30% is a lot of hacks!

I know this bot in the video is being used in an obvious manner by someone who doesn't care if its obvious to the other players know he's hacking. A more experienced player could probably use it in a less obvious way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_I8FjFLVt8

I still haven't been to the SLAC site to read about it and only read Binary's well pointed views on it. To me it does sound like it has a lot of positives over pb with only one drawback that being having to download then install it. Maybe when the majority of reputable servers have it then maybe we should switch to.

If you need a basic install guide thread I could do that with some screenshots (win7)

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can’t be done.